We want everyone who visits our website to be able to access the full range of services available, regardless of their skill or technology.
How accessible the site is
We know some parts of this website aren’t fully accessible.
There are known issues with the:
- HTML: the underlying code used to create the website
- CSS: used to describe how HTML is shown on the pages
- 3rd party functionality: areas of the site which are developed by external 3rd party companies
- content: this includes web page content or documents
What to do if you have problems or queries
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the accessibility regulations. If you're not happy with how we respond, please contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Durham Council Council is committed to making our website accessible, in accordance with The Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
Under the Equality Act 2010 we must ensure we do not unlawfully discriminate in our service delivery and make reasonable adjustments for people with disabilities where necessary. We are constantly working to improve the accessibility and usability of our site.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
A program of work is now underway to address issues, involving both our in-house developers and designers, and the companies who provide 3rd party functionality.
We aim to resolve the following by September 2021:
- images: some images do not have accessible names, failing success criterion 1.1.1
- images in documents: some images/figures do not have an alt tag, failing success criterion 1.1.1
- tables: heading elements are not declared and role=presentation is not used, failing success criterion 1.3.1
- documents: PDFs are not tagged so are not accessible by screen readers, failing success criterion 1.3.1
- stylesheets: absolute positioning fails success criterion 1.3.2
- autocomplete: this is not set for new-password or current-password in order to identify input purpose, failing success criterion 1.3.5
- links: these do not have underlining making it hard for colour-blind users to see them, failing success criterion 1.4.1
- background colours: some text/background colours do not have enough contrast, failing success criterion 1.4.3
- images: animated images last over five seconds with no means of pausing or stopping them, failing success criterion 2.2.2
- frames and iframes: some do not have a title attribute, failing success criterion 2.4.1
- page titles: pages titles are not unique, failing success criterion 2.4.2
- document titles: some documents have no title failing success criterion 2.4.2
- headings: empty headings fail success criterion 2.4.6
- form field labels: some are not unique or are not enclosed in a fieldset with a legend to make them unique, and fail success criterion 2.4.6
- labels: radio buttons have generic labels and are not enclosed in a fieldset with a legend explaining the label, failing success criterion 2.4.6
- outline / border-style: the stylesheet makes it difficult to see the dotted link focus outline, failing success criterion 2.4.7
- page language: this is not declared, failing success criterion 3.1.1
- elements: an end tag a violates nesting rules, failing success criterion 4.1.1
- attributes: extra quote marks are appearing, possibly due to missing ones earlier in code, failing success criterion 4.1.1
- elements: element is a child element when it should not be, failing success criterion 4.1.1
- attributes: some attributes do not have spaces between them, failing success criterion 4.1.1
- labels: some aria-controls have no labels, failing success criterion 4.1.2
- forms: some form controls have blank labels or titles, which fails success criterion 4.1.2
- images: some alt text is the same as the image's file name, failing success criteria 1.1.1 and 1.2.1
- elements: some elements do not contain text or an IMG with an alt attribute, failing success criteria 2.4.4, 2.4.9 and 4.1.2
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
- PDFs/documents (pre-September 2018): PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 or documents that are not essential to providing our services
- pre-recorded audio and video published before 23 September 2020
How we test the site
We re-assess a website or system for accessibility whenever it undergoes a major modification.
We check all new content we add.